The Drummer Boy Of Shiloh
The story that I read was called "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" the author was Ray Bradbury. In this article the main characters name is Joby who went to war and he had just turned fourteen. Joby is the drummer boy and he is really scared about the war. In the story Joby is scared about the war and says he wants to leave Until the captain has a talk with him.
I think that Joby has the right to be scared.He is only fourteen and he goes to war to be a drummer boy he's not even in the war he has to drum while he is watching both sides fight.Also I think that the general feels bad because they needed soldiers that they took whatever they found which was soldiers that were under age.I think that the general is realizing how much damage this brings to people.Also I think that Joby is struggling and the general feels like it's his job to bring hope to Joby. In the story the general starts saying that the war has harmed lots of people because they die or they have to fight for no reason because they're fighting they're own people.Also I think that the general didn't know at first that first that Joby was the drummer boy he thought that that Joby was a soldier because in the passage the general told Joby here's a soldier crying before the war but then Joby got startled and by accident touched his drum after that the general tried to start the conversation in a nicer way because he realized that Joby was really young and that he has to watch everything. I think that if I was Joby I would have ran away because what if he gets shot and dies because, he can get shot really easily because he's not moving around as much and he can easily be a target. I think that Joby feels as if he is the peach stone in the story because in the story it says"At midnight a peach stone left miraculously on a branch through winter, flicked by a bird, fell swift and unseen; it struck once like panic, and jerked the boy upright."To me this means that Joby is the peach stone that left his house and got the idea to go to war but then when he is in war he has been hit with the truth that he had a dumb idea because know he is in a place were he wants to leave and were there is only a bunch of dead people.Also I think that Joby was really scared because he didn't just see the worst he saw the bloodiest battle against his own people.I also think that Joby thought that being a drummer boy in the war had no risks because if he ran away from home to join the army it was because his parents got into and argument with him and that was his only way out or his parents did not respect his decision to want to join the war because he is just fourteen years old. Also the part that i think made Joby brave was when in the story the general told Joby that if he passed away that Joby had to take over because he was the heart of the army.
I can make a connection of this story with a movie called war horse because the main character who is Albert decides to go to the war because he has a horse that he loved with all his heart who he trained and then the city just took them without telling him because they were told he was an impressive horse who is now war when he goes to war his best friend is shot and killed and he realizes that war is not a game and it is really hard because all you really think about is kill anybody on the other side and save yourself also I think Albert in the movie relates to Joby because they were both young and they both were scared.Also another connection that they both had was that they were trying to learn about the world and how it really is they were trying to experience it for themselves.Another connection that they have is that they're running away from something because in the story Joby has run away from his family and in the movie the Albert has run away to find his horse. Also what I think was interesting about both of the characters was that they weren't brave until they had a talk with someone that made him feel confident because in the story Joby has a talk with the General and in the movie Albert has a talk with the other soldiers who told him that he looks tougher than the other side together.Also I think that another connection is that they both have motivations Albert's motivation to keep on going was his horse and Joby's motivation was his drum and the soldiers because in the story the general tells him"You are the heart of the army" and then Joby thinks if he beat slow tomorrow, the heart would beat slow in men.
All in all, I think that everybody has a breaking point and that Joby was really young to be in the war because you cannot put the pressure of the war on a kid because they do not understand yet and it will affect them because if they see killing that is what they're going to remember because they're put in a horrible place were they didn't know how to make their own decisions and they made the mistake to go go to the war and watch a lot of bad things happen.Also I think that the general did a good think to have a talk with Joby because if I was Joby I would want someone to calm me down and give me hope so that I could sleep through the horrible night that he was having.Also I think that Ray Bradbury was trying to tell us something through the captain because he said in the story that the war is wrong just wrong through the general but why would the general be saying that if he's the general? he is supposed to tell the soldiers and everyone what to do.Also I think that Joby rather be in his home than in the war because the war seems like a bigger problem than the problems that he is having at home because family is always important even if they're are problems you can always go to your family when you need someone or when your feeling down because your family loves you.Lastly I think that I am happy that Joby had a talk with the general because know Joby feels that the soldiers and the army are like his family because the general made him feel like if he was home.
Susana, there are some good ideas in here, but it's hard to find them because of the run-on sentences and long paragraphs. Think about it.
ReplyDelete