Thursday, October 4, 2012

Am I Blue? By Bruce Coville



 In the story Am I Blue? by Bruce Coville is about a character who's name is Vince and he is struggling to figure out if he is gay or not but according to Butch Carrigan the bully decides to bully Vince and call him a fruit and tells Vince that he's going to teach him to look at him and then throws Vince in a puddle. In the story his fairy god father appears and then Vince doesn't know who this guy is and then Melvin does magic and then little by little Vince starts to realize that maybe this guy is who he says because normal people can't do magic here and there.
 One of the themes in the story that I read were that I think that Vince is very confused and does not really know what to do because he's trying to figure out if he is gay or not but this guy tells him that he is his fairy god father and then he thinks that this guy may give him all the answers. Melvin tells Vince that he got bullied to and then Vince sees that they are and went through the same situation. I think that Vince does not believe in anything because he was pushed around many times and he thought that nobody wanted to talk to him that his guy who was Melvin. He also thought that Melvin was making fun of him because Melvin called him a little fruit that was meant to be a joke but Vince had been bullied a lot so he didn’t take it as a joke but he took at as an offense. In the story Vince asks Melvin who he says and Melvin tells him that he is his fairy god father, Vince has the right to not believe in Melvin because he has been thrown and hurt so much that it is hard to believe in magic and that someone actually cares and wants to help you. For Vince it is hard to believe in magic because he is trying to make his decision if he is gay or not but Butch is already telling Vince that he is gay even though Vince doesn’t know himself he is trying to figure out what he is and who he is.
In the story I think that a lot of people hide from who they really are because in the story Vince doesn’t see the reality until Melvin gives him the vision of the gaydar because then he sees that people are not always what they seem. I know this because in the story everyone knew that Ms.Thorndyke was lesbian but then when Vince gets the vision he sees that she is actually straight. So this makes me think that everyone is always hiding from the truth because they’ve seen other people get hurt and they don’t want that to be them so they join the bad guys even though they know that the side they want to be on is getting hurt. They pretend to be on the bad guy’s side so they don’t get hurt and so they save themselves from the misery that they will have to suffer. Because their cowards and are afraid to stand up for themselves. Instead they help the bad guys rise and gain more power. I think that the guys that were pretending to be in the bad guys side also had a reason to hide because if I was them I wouldn’t want to get hurt and I wouldn’t want to be the only one trying to defend the people on my side also I think that they were waiting for the right time to stand up and be brave.
Melvin helped Vince a lot he woke him up and helped Vince make other people wake up and go back to reality because what you think you know is not always what it seems because at first when you see people you always assume something first and say he is this or he is that but then when something happens that you did not expect you are shocked. Vince also changed a lot of minds because a lot of people that saw the coast to coast where noticing that all of their friends or most of their friends were gay but they were good friends so you don’t have to make them feel different or make them embarrassed because they can still be a great person. Vince made people think who cares who we are we just all need to be happy and not bullied for what you are or who you are.
All in all I think that Vince was trying to make up his mind about what he is going to do but when Vince sees that most of the people he knows is gay then he decides that it doesn’t matter what his decision is because at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what his decision is because there are more people like you. I noticed that Vince is confused because he is trying to make choices and figure out who he is and there are people that are trying to hurry him up and are trying to make choices for him.    
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment