Thursday, December 20, 2012

Non fiction Article

           The main idea of the article that I have read is called "Ancient Bones That Tell a Story of Compassion" by James Gorman it is mainly about disabled people in the past that died after than the researchers expected because they're was no ways that the doctors knew how to fix this because it was 4000 they found this  out because a normal body's skeleton would be lying straight but this body and some more cases weren't lying straight like the others.It also says that they do not understand how they didn't die because they didn't have any resources 4,000 years ago. In one part of the article it says "In the case of Burial 9, she says, not only does his care indicate tolerance and cooperation in his culture, but suggests that he himself had a sense of his own worth and a strong will to live. Without that, she says, he could not have stayed alive." Which tells me that the culture that he lived in was very good because he did not die fast like the doctors would have expected.Another thing that the article says is  " Among archaeological finds, she said, she knows “about 30 cases in which the disease or pathology was so severe, they must have had care in order to survive.” And she said there are certainly more such cases to be described." This also tells me that if these people that were disabled didn't receive care from they're family then they would have died fast.Also another example is that "Such cases include at least one Neanderthal, Shanidar 1, from a site in Iraq, dating to 45,000 years ago, who died around age 50 with one arm amputated, loss of vision in one eye and other injuries."This tells me that even though he was badly injured that he alived a pretty long time even though he was suffering.These details support the text because it  is also showing other cases of people that were disabled that survived with a pretty good age.These examples also show the comparison between one another because the cases all had they're families had to support them without any help from professionals.    
             I think that the author wants us to be shocked.I think this because I was really shocked when I read this because I didn't know that this has been happening long ago like 4,000 years ago.It also shocked me that they lived a long life because if they didn't have doctors around time then how did they live without treatments or help. I also think that the author whats us to think that this is really weird because this made me think about where they found the skeleton's.For example the author in the article says"While it is a painful truism that brutality and violence are at least as old as humanity, so, it seems, is caring for the sick and disabled. "This tells me that he feels bad and shocked about this skeleton because no one found this until recently because they weren't sure and still don't know why this happens because it makes no sense.
            I think that what I will take away from this is that you have to be happy that you live in the advanced world you live in and also you have to be happy because you are not disabled.This changed my thinking because it made me think that I should approach all of the opportunities that I have in my life because other people wish that they could live my life with two good legs and hands.I also want to know why they didn't find this out before or why they didn't tell us this before because it makes us appreciate or life.       
3
   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment